Wednesday 15 May 2013

Lost Forever

I knew I would have a bad day when my editor Gail Smit walked into my office with a wide smile on her face. Gail found little to be joyful about. She always looked like she was sucking lemons. So you must understand my concern when she walked into my office with a bounce on her step and her lips stretched into a smile.
‘Good news! Good news! I’ve managed to secure an interview with Sbu Langa and his supermodel fiancée Cynthia!’ She could hardly contain her excitement. ‘Isn’t that wonderful? And guess what?’
She waited. I stared at her blankly, still trying to process the news. Sbu was engaged? I couldn’t believe it.
‘You get to write the article,’ she said.
I immediately shook my head. There was no way I could face Sbu and his fiancée. If you don’t remember, Sbu was the man who once claimed he loved me. He was going to leave his girlfriend for me. Now I find out he was engaged?
‘I’m sorry, Gail, I can’t—’
Her eyes widened in disbelief. ‘What do you mean, you can’t? Do you have any idea how difficult it was for us to get this interview? Sbu turned down all other magazines. He’s giving us an exclusive.’
‘It’s just that Sbu and I—‘
She didn’t give me a chance to complete my thought. ‘It doesn’t matter what history the two of you have. You’re a professional and I’m sure you can handle it, else I wouldn’t be giving you this opportunity.’ She paused. ‘And he asked for you by name.’ She hurried out of my office avoiding an argument.
I decided to let it go for now. I would confront her later, when my anger had subsided.

I couldn’t believe Sbu was doing this to me. I wondered why. Many thoughts came to my mind, but none made sense. To get my thoughts straight, I discussed this with my best friend, Ed.
He was as shocked as I was on Sbu’s pending nuptials. ‘Why is he asking you to do the interview?’ he asked as we walked from our office to a coffee shop a block away.
I shrugged. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy for Sbu, but did he have to rub it on my face.
‘Did you do something to upset him?’
‘No. I haven’t seen him in a while. And the last time I saw him, we’d parted on good terms.’
‘Maybe he’s angry that you rejected him.’
‘He’s not that kind of a person. None of this is like him. It doesn’t make sense.’ I couldn’t figure it out.
‘I must admit that I’m a little disappointed,’ Ed said as we crossed a busy intersection. ‘I was hoping the two of you would end up together. I liked Sbu.’
I didn’t know what to say. I was a little disappointed myself. In my heart of hearts, I had believed that Sbu was a man of his word. I had believed that he truly had feeling for me, but I guess I was wrong.
‘I’m better off without him,’ I said, trying to convince myself.
Ed cleared his throat. ‘Gail has asked me to do a fashion shoot with them. It’s for the same issue that they’ll be featured on the magazine,’ he said. ‘Don’t worry; I’ll give Cynthia all the bad outfits.’
We entered the coffee shop and stood in the queue behind two teenage girls who were chatting loud enough for the entire restaurant to hear their conversation. They were excited about something.
I rolled my eyes at them. The last thing I wanted to hear were sounds of laughter.
‘Oh relax,’ Ed said. ‘I’m sure it’s not gonna be as bad as you imagine.’

The interview was awkward at best. But I handled it professionally. I couldn’t let Sbu know that I was hurting. They came to our offices because they were scheduled for the fashion shoot immediately after the interview.
Being alone with them was difficult. Every time they held hands, my heart shrunk a little. It was painful.
I couldn’t stand to see him with Cynthia. I couldn’t blame her, of course. She was an innocent bystander. The culprit here was Sbu. If we were alone, I would have shown him exactly how I felt. I was angry. I was upset. I was hurt. I feared I would burst out crying, but thankfully, I managed to keep my emotions in check.
To start the interview, Cynthia told me about their wedding plans. Where they were jetting off to for their honeymoon. How happy she was. How lucky she was. She went on and on and on.
I noticed that Sbu had not said much throughout the interview. I turned to look at him. I gave him my best professional smile.
‘How did you propose?’ I asked, cutting Cynthia off mid-sentence.
There was no response.
‘Our readers would be interested,’ I pushed.
‘Er… I … I…’ he stammered.
Interesting, I thought.
Cynthia came to his rescue. She filled in the gaps. The words gushed out of her mouth. She told me how he’d flown her to Cape Town and while there he’d surprised her. There was the beach, there was wine, and there was a diamond ring.
To my trained ear, it sounded too rehearsed. But I dismissed that as jealousy.
While she rambled on, I focused my attention on Sbu. I was confused. He looked unhappy. He had a plastered smile on his face, one that did not reach his eyes. Maybe I was imagining things, I told myself. It was time to let him go.
‘Thank you for a great interview. I wish you both all the best for your future,’ I said and to my surprise, I realised that I meant it. I smiled.

Later that day as I was about to leave the office, I heard a knock. I was facing away from the door packing my bag. I turned my head and there he was. The tall, handsome Sbu entered my office. The sight of him knocked out all the air in my lungs. I turned away continuing with the task at hand and because I didn’t want him to see me losing it.
He closed the door behind him. I heard the key turn in its socket as he locked the door, locking us in. Suddenly the office became tiny and hot.
‘I wanted to see you,’ he said.
I rolled my eyes. I didn’t believe a word he said.
‘You wouldn’t return my calls. You don’t respond to my emails. Tell me what was I to do?’
‘So you thought putting me through that was the best solution? I had to listen to your fiancée babbling on about your happy life.’
‘I’m sorry. I just wanted to see you.’
‘Please stop toying with my emotions. You’re getting married in a couple of months.’
‘I can’t stop thinking about you. I think about you all the times. It’s driving me insane,’ he said.
I stopped what I was doing and turned around to face him, my hands now planted on my hips. I wanted to punch him between the eyes. Who the hell did he think he was?
‘Well, too bad, I’m over you,’ I said with the calmness I did not feel. It was a lie and he saw right through it.
He took two short strides and closed the gap between the two of us. With one hand, he gentle held my head, and the other he placed on my back. He lowered his lips to mine and passionately kissed me.
He tasted so sweet. Like cherries. No, like sweet grapes. I couldn’t decide. He was strong, solid and powerful. I lost my resolve and kissed him back. He made me feel like no man has ever made me feel before. A throbbing developed in my core. I wanted more of him, so I held him closer. I let myself get lost in the kiss. I wanted him. I wasn’t over him. Tears burnt at the back of my eyes. I pushed him away. I couldn’t do this to myself.
‘No!’ I screamed. ‘I won’t let you play with my emotions.’
He looked confused. Still a little dazed.
‘You’re getting married in a couple of months.’ Tears fell down my cheeks. I could no longer hold them in. ‘How do you think she would feel if she walked in on us? Do you think she’d be happy? Cheer us on? Open your eyes, Sbu, else we’re all going to end up hurt. You’ve made your choice, now you’ll have to learn to live with it.’
‘I want you,’ he said.
‘No.’ I shook my head, while chocking back my sobs. I didn’t want to hear it anymore. ‘No.’ I said again. ‘Action speaks louder than words. If you truly meant that, I would be the one wearing the ring.’
He held my face with his large hands and wiped my tears with his thumbs. That caused fresh tears to fall down. He gathered me into his arms. I held him closer for the last time. I said my goodbyes in my heart.
Moments later, he left. Before walking out, he looked back at me and said, ‘I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you.’
He left me standing alone in my office. I knew in my heart of hearts that he was gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment