Saturday 2 February 2013

Office Date

Thando’s plan had backfired on her. She’d invited Sbu, the man she had a crush on, to dinner at our house. She had hoped that he would like her, but he didn’t. He’d spent the entire dinner paying me compliments and asking me awkward questions.
‘He sent me flowers at work,’ I complained to Thando. ‘How did he even know where I work? This is all your fault.’
Thando looked away.
‘What’s that look?’
‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’
‘Thando?’ I stood in front of her.
‘Okay…’ She shrugged, as if what she would say next was inconsequential. ‘He asked me for your work address.’
‘What? And you gave it to him?’
‘I was visiting Steve, hoping to bump into him, which of course, I did. When he walked into Steve’s office, I thought it was because he wanted to see me, but instead he wanted your address. I was so disappointed.’
Ed walked into the lounge from the kitchen, carrying snacks. He sat next to his partner Matt. ‘So he sent you flowers, I don’t see a problem there,’ he said.
‘Exactly,’ Matt said. ‘I thought you’d be happy.’
‘I don’t like him. I don’t want him stalking me,’ I said.
‘I liked him,’ Matt said. ‘He seemed like such a gentleman.’
‘No one asked you for your opinion, Matt,’ Thando said. ‘Q, I think you’d be a fool if you don’t date him. He’s handsome, he’s tall, and he’s rich.’
‘And that’s the only reason you are attracted to him, isn’t, Thando? His wealth?’
Thando scowled at Matt. ‘Call him, Q, before someone else snatches him.’
I hoped that someone else would snatch it, but it didn’t happened, gift continued pouring in. Every time flowers were delivered at reception, all my colleagues pointed to my office. I thought that if I ignored his advances, Sbu would lose interest. I was wrong. Nothing discouraged him. He sent me many gifts, each with a request to have dinner with him. When he didn’t get a response, he decided to come to the office in person.
‘What are you doing here?’ I asked.
‘I’m here to find out why you won’t accept my invitation to dinner,’ he said.
‘Er… ‘ I cleared my throat. ‘I’m busy.’
‘It’s just one dinner.’
I didn’t respond.
‘You have to eat don’t you?’
I nodded.
‘So, I thought that if you won’t come out to dinner with me, then I’ll bring the dinner here,’ he said. He wheeled a tray of food, similar to the one used by hotels for room service. It was filled with food.
‘You brought this with u?’
He nodded. ‘Well, I had someone bring it up for us. So what do you say?’ He pointed at the tray filled with the most delicious meals.
How could I say no to that? I looked at the food, it smelled really good. I smiled at him. ‘Since the food is here… I guess I can’t let it go to waste.’
He smiled.
And that’s how Sbu got me to go out on a date with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment