Tuesday 22 January 2013

Obsession

Dieting is not easy. No really, it’s hard. That was the reason I never believed those ads in magazines of people who claim to have lost 20kg in three months. Are you kidding me? Even if you starved yourself for three months and consumed nothing but water, you still wouldn’t lose 20kg. It’s just another heartless diet company trying to lure desperate slimmers, of which I had been one, more times than I would like to recall.
It took me forever to lose the first 10kg, now I was battling to lose the last 10kg. I was exercising until I was soaked and eating better than average, but still nothing. I was getting really discouraged. How come other people could lose weight, but I couldn’t? I wanted to breakdown and cry, but I knew that no amount of lamenting would help me shed 10kg. If only there was a magic pill. Especially because today I seriously didn’t feel like going to gym.
A relentless knock at my door forced me to get up from the couch. I knew who it was and I knew what he wanted. I opened the door and Ed, my best friend, smiled at me, revealing his perfect white teeth. He was wearing his gym gear.
He looked at me and shook his head. ‘I’m not leaving without you,’ he said.
‘I’m not going. What’s the point?’ I said.
‘The point is you’d lose weight.’
I rolled my eyes.
‘Tone up.’
He waited for a response from me, but got none.
‘Meet a man,’ he said.
‘That’s your reason, not mine. I don’t wanna be with a man who’s gonna constantly update me about his percentage body fat,’ I said.
‘Do it for me then. For your best friend.’
Ed had recently been single and didn’t like it. He’s one of those people who’d date just so they’re not alone. He was even attempting to meet a man at the gym. That’s the only reason he went. He was as thin as a rake and needed no exercise. If you asked me, he could add some meat to his bones.
Being overweight was making me hate my life. I had a successful career, a lovely home, nice car and an OK family. So why was I so miserable? The answer: 10kg. Stubborn 10kg. I didn’t want a man; I wanted to drop these stubborn pounds. To lose the round cheeks. To shape my shapeless behind. To rid myself of my thunder thighs. And for my muffin top to be gone. I covered my face with my hands.
Thando Mava, my roommate and childhood friend, came out of her bedroom all dressed up. ‘What’s with her?’ she asked.
‘She angry at her fat,’ Ed said. He turned to look at Thando. ‘Girl, you look really good in that dress.’
‘I know.’ Thando turned around revealing the rest of her outfit to us.
She had a perfect body. Curves in all the right places. And she had long legs than went on forever. We were the same height, but because I carried an extra 10kg, I looked like a giant while she looked like a model.
‘So where you off to?’ Ed asked.
‘Date.’
‘With?’
‘You don’t know him.’
‘Let me guess,’ Ed said. ‘He’s rich and he’s rich and he’s rich.’
‘And he’s old and probably ugly,’ I added.
Thando shifted on her feet. ‘For your info… he’s handsome and he’s very much young.’
‘Three letters, my friend. BEE,’ Ed said.
‘Oh, Ed, don’t be jealous.’
‘Why on earth would I be jealous?’
‘I have a date and you don’t.’
That kept Ed silent.
‘Hey,’ I said, pointing at Thando’s shoes. ‘Those are my shoes.’
‘You have really nice clothes. Pity we’re not the same size, else I would have borrowed more than your shoes. I have to bring my A game tonight. I think this guy is the one.’
‘That means he has a huge bank account,’ Ed said.
Thando smiled. ‘He does. Soon all my money problems will be over and I can finally move out of here and get my own place. Wish me luck.’ Her smile widened. She grabbed her handbag and walked out.
Ed shook his head. ‘If chasing rich men was a sport, Thando would always be the winner.’
Thando only dated men with money. If they were also famous, she saw it as a cherry on top. She had made a name for herself as a gold digger. This didn’t bother her, because she couldn’t care less what people thought of her.
‘We should encourage her to return to acting. You know, do something that she would be proud of,’ I said.
‘Girl, she tried that, and she sucked at it. She’s much better at chasing money,’ Ed said.
‘She was not that bad. I mean… she was not the greatest. But you’ll never know, we might find ourselves attending the Oscars, hence I need to lose these pounds. George Clooney cannot see me looking like a balloon.’
A deep frown formed on his face. ‘I thought it was Jonny Depp.’
‘No. It’s George Clooney and he wants me to lose this weight.’
Thinking of George Clooney seeing me fat, gave me a surge of energy. I jumped out of the couch.
‘Give me a minute, I’ll come with you to the gym.’
‘Amen! Thank you Mr Clooney.’ He smiled.
I had to thank Mr Clooney as well, because of him I might just start chiselling off the excess fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment