Friday 25 January 2013

Handsome Matt

I was running on the treadmill when I saw him. I almost fell off. I had to hit the emergency stop button to prevent an accident. He was the most handsome man I’d seen in years. OK, maybe not years, but that’s how long it felt.
He had muscles in strategic areas. He was lean and handsome. He had a beautiful smile, gorgeous eyes and he was wearing a personal trainer’s uniform.
‘Hey, Ed.’
Ed was running on a treadmill next to mine. ‘What?’ he asked, out of breath.
‘Is that a new PT? I’ve never seen him here before,’ I said.
Ed spotted him. He jumped and stood with his legs spread open on the unmoving edge of the treadmill, while the belt was still moving.
‘OMG! He’s so cute,’ he said. ‘Aren’t you gonna go and introduce yourself?’
‘What?’
‘I can see you’re interested.’
‘Forget about him, Q, PT’s are broke,’ Thando said, butting in on our private conversation. She was running fast, but was barely out of breath. ‘You’ll never see me dead with one, except, of course, if he’s my trainer.’ She chuckled.
‘That’s not true. PT’s are not broke.’ I shook my head. ‘That’s beside the point.’
‘Easy for you to say, you’re a working girl,’ she said, contempt dripping from her voice. You’d swear my job involved doing something illegal.
I stepped down from the treadmill after the woman in front of the waiting queue gave me a dirty look for the third time. Ed joined me. We left Thando hard at work.
The handsome PT walked past us. I held my breath. Ed pushed me towards him and I collided with him. He stumbled a little, but managed to stay on his feet.
Ed quickly walked away, leaving me with the mess.
‘I’m so sorry,’ I said.
‘Are you OK?’ he asked.
Oh what a gentlemen, I thought. ‘I’m fine. Again, I’m sorry.’
He smiled. Something started to happen in my stomach. Butterflies, I thought.
‘My name is Qaqamba, but everyone calls me Q.’ I stretched out my hand. He shook it. His hand was so soft.
‘I’m Matt,’ he said.
‘I’ve never seen you here before.’
‘I’m new in town. I’m from Cape Town.’
‘Welcome to Jo’burg.’ I couldn’t think of anything more intelligent to say. ‘You know, if you like, my friends and I could show you around.’ I giggled like a love struck teenager.
What is wrong with you? I chastised myself.
‘OK.’
‘Really?’ I was surprised.
‘Under one condition.’
‘Name it.’
‘You sign up as my client.’
I looked down at myself. ‘Do I really look that fat?’
He lifted his hands. ‘Oh no, no. I just need more clients.’
‘Just teasing.’ I laughed. ‘Deal. I’ll sign up my friends as well.’
I smiled. I wasn’t looking for a man right now, but if Matt dropped down on one knee, I would shout YES!
‘Q?’ Matt called as I walked away. I turned quickly.
‘Yes?’
He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. ‘I’m gay.’
‘What?’
‘I just wanted it out there.’
‘Sorry, what?’
‘I’m gay,’ he said again.
‘Are you sure?’
He laughed and nodded. ‘Very much so.’
I shrugged, pretending not to be interested. ‘You don’t have to lie in order to blow me off. I’m not interested in you,’ I lied.
‘I’m not lying. I am gay.’
‘Good,’ I said and walked away. I felt my cheeks heat up. At that moment, I wished the ground would open up, swallow me whole, and spare me of this embarrassment.  One thing for sure, I was never coming back to this gym. No way I’d be able to face Matt ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment