Thursday 7 November 2013

A Silent Cry for Help

People ask for help in many different ways. Some scream their lungs out for the entire world to hear. Some ask quietly, hoping to keep their unfortunate situation only between friends. Others ask for it without uttering a word. That was the feeling Q got from Steve. She’d detected a silent cry for help.
Q couldn’t stop thinking about the way that Steve had looked when he entered Sbu’s office. He’d been covered in sweat. He’d kept on looking over his shoulder as if he was suspecting a tail. And the words he’d uttered had scream “HELP!” to Q. He’d been nervous about something. That was for sure. She wondered what.
She picked up her desk phone and dialed Thando. She hoped her friend could shed some light, as she was Steve’s partner. And partners know everything about each other, don’t they? She asked about Steve as soon as she picked up the phone.
‘Why are you suddenly so interested in Steve?’ Thando asked. ‘You don’t want to steal him away from me, do you?’ she joked.
‘Don’t be silly, Thando. I’m being serious.’
‘He left early this morning. When I woke up, he was already gone.’
‘You didn’t notice anything strange last night?’
‘Hmmm… No. He was his fine jovial self.’ She paused.
‘What?’
‘Well, there was a call that he received around midnight. He stayed on the phone for quite some time. I thought that was a little strange, but nothing to worry about.’
‘I see,’ Q said.
‘What? You think he’s cheating on me?’ Thando said, concern in her voice. ‘You think there’s another bitch out there trying to wreck my home?’
‘No, of course not,’ Q said too quickly. She didn’t know what to make of this. Was the call Steve received the reason he was a nervous wreck? Now her interest was piqued.
‘I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. It was probably business. What are you up to?’
‘Shopping a storm,’ she responded. ‘And later, I’m meeting Gert for a fitting. He’s designing my dress for the Long Walk to Freedom movie premiere.’
Q would also be attending the film, but she’d be working on the day. Gail had tasked her with interviewing the stars of the film on the red carpet. She was especially looking forward to interviewing Idris Elba, Naomie Harris and of course the gorgeous Terry Pheto.
‘Guess what?’ Thando said, hauling her back to the present. ‘Steve bought me a Louis Vuitton luggage set. There’s a large suitcase, a hand luggage case, complete with a toiletry bag.’
‘That’s very nice of him.’
‘I think he’s planning a vacation for us. I can’t wait!’
After chatting more about the details of her dress, what shoes she’d pair it with, and about possible destinations Steve could be taking her to, they ended the call.
Q couldn’t shake the feeling that Steve was in trouble. But she didn’t know him well, and she decided that was part of the problem. What if Steve was involved in some shady business with some shady characters? And Thando would be caught in the middle of it all. She had to do something. She rummaged through her desk drawer looking for a business card she hadn’t used in a while. She picked up the phone again when she found it. She dialed the number.
‘Craig here.’
‘Craig, it’s Q. I have a huge favour to ask.’
‘Q, it’s been a while. I was starting to think you forgot about me.’
‘What? Never!’ she lied.
Craig had a crush on Q, but unfortunately for him, she didn’t reciprocate. She only remembered him when she needed some dirty work done. He was the member of the police service and often proved useful when needed.
‘So what’s the favour?’
‘I need you to do a background check on someone for me.’
‘Anyone I know?’
‘Perhaps. His name is Steve Pule. Anything you can get for me, I’ll appreciate it.’
‘Enough to go out with me?’
‘Craig…’
‘I know, I know. You told me you’re not interested.’
‘I didn’t say that. What if I promise to find you someone hotter than I?’
‘That’s not possible.’
‘I know someone.’
‘Deal.’
As Q placed the phone down, she hoped she was wrong about Steve and that her worry was only as a result of her over active imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment